Friends of Burma, Inc. Newsletter Fall 2022
Fund Raising for Matthew 25 Clinic
On June 11,2022, our FOB Co-founder, Diana Sowards ran a 100-meter race for the age group of 80-84 in Evansville, Indiana, Senior Games and got a medal. She started training for the race in December 2021 at the YMCA. She is an amazing woman. There was a fund raising project for a large generator for the Matthew 25 Love clinic in Pathein. Due to an outpouring of love and affection, $9,970 was raised. It went toward the $15,000 needed for this clinic - which functions as a hospital - making it possible to have power during surgery. Matthew 25 was facing a hard time because power shortage due to the country's situation. The fund was quickly transferred to Pathein. Please be sure to read the feedback from the clinic in the next page to see what a blessing.
Diana just wishes she could run a race for other great needs for IDP children who are living in the jungle on the borders of India and Thailand. Thank you very much Diana for such an inspiration and all the supporters for making this happen!!
Meet Our Newest Board Member
Please, welcome our FOB new board member Kanyaw Paw Tha from Ottawa, Canada. Kanyaw is a Karen and grew up in Yangon, Burma and she was an active member of Cole Karen Baptist church. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from Yangon University and Master’s degree of Conflict Transformation from Eastern Mennonite University in Virginia. She worked for World Concern (Myanmar) and after that joined Hope International development agency.
Kanyaw is married to Dylan Chain, a Karen ethnic officer from the Royal Canadian Navy. She moved to Canada in 2015.
We would like to thank Kanyaw Paw Tha for her commitment to serve as a board member of FOB.
|Nursing Aid Training Reopening|
- The annual meeting for FOB Executive Committee was held via ZOOM on Feb 19, 2022. Thanks to technology, FOMGB representatives and some partners from Myanmar were able to join the meeting together for the first time. The meeting minutes are now available on our website.
- On April 18, 2022, two board members and Neil and Diana got together to talk seriously about how to eventually put Friends of Burma into a more 21st century method of keeping records. Volunteer board members, Ms. Eh Moo Hmun, and Mr. Htaw Htoo discussed strategies for electronic record keeping. The good news is that Neil and Diana are doing okay. The bad news is that we can do better. As 84 and 83 year olds, the couple feel technologically challenged. Htaw Htoo, who has put uncounted hours into submitting our 990 yearly forms electronically, balancing records of donations, and records of giving in Burma, is, together with Eh Moo, working on how to make our record keeping up to date, while still recognizing that Neil and Diana are not computer skilled. We pledge to you that we are doing our best to be completely transparent and accurate. All of us are still working to help people in Burma, while assuring that all funds are given to the needy. We appreciate your patience and your support.
|Chit Myittar Orphanage Care Shelter|
|Kawthoolei Karen Baptist Churches’ (KKBC) orphanage/dormitory|
Please take a moment to review a variety of ministries below and pick one or two that touch your heart to support.
- Electric Lift for Myanmar Institute of Theology ... $14,000
- Oxygen plant for community … $10,000
- Electro Cardiogram … $4,000
- Educational expenses and laptop for Relocated Orphanages ... $1,200
- Sponsor one orphan per year … $360
- IDP Camps … $50+
- KKBBSC Orphanage Center … $75+
- Alternative Christmas gift … $50
FOB, tax ID 20-5572384, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and all donations are tax-deductible.
Do you have a Will?
If so, please consider Friends of Burma in your future plan to continue your favorite programs or projects. If not, we urge you to look into having one to have a say over your own legacy.
All the work of FOB is done by volunteers in the U. S. FOB has one paid staff member in Myanmar. Less than 2% of our income goes for overhead—most of which is for our one staff member in Myanmar and printing and distribution of our 3 annual newsletters.
This newsletter was written and compiled by Anna Maung and Adam Maung.
Friends of Burma, Inc. 548 Home Ave. Ft. Wayne, IN 46807
Tel. 260-745-3658, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: http://friendsofburma.org, Blog: http://blog.friendsofburma.org